Monday, October 19, 2009

Is that a.....

 
As an art teacher you see many interesting drawings.  On Monday's we have a  short periods and I see all of my classes.  This is a very short time to get out projects and paint supplies.  So instead I do creative drawing.  Creative drawing is a doodle on a piece of paper in which I allow the children to use their creativity to make the doodle into something.  Some of the kids love it, some hate it.  In this I get some very interesting art.  here are the top 3:

1.  Faces

2.  Designs

3.  Penises

Let's discuss the latter.  When I tell people that my kids draw penises all over their art work they are amazed and always bring up the movie "Superbad."  This movie spawned a revolution in the theory of children drawing penises.  I never really thought children did this until I became an art teacher.  Now on average I see about 2-3 a week. 

Now the penises are not always blatant some are in disguise.  Like a young gentlemen I had two years ago.  This young man had an incredible ability to take any sketchbook assignment and turn it into a wang.  This is impressive.  Design your own house and it looked like the castle on the old "Little Mermaid" cover (those Disney pervs).  Draw yourself in space and it was a rocket with balls.  Design your own car and it was the "Ambiguously Gay Duo" mobile.  The kid was somewhat of a genius!  I did finally turn him into counseling for his penis drawing.

Today was a great one though.  I was doing my sketchbook check and picked up an absent students book.  I didn't think I would find much work and I was right.  I did however find a penis drawn in midair just floating there on the paper.  It had everything veins, hair and balls.  I felt set up and fell for this evil trick.  Did he think I would never find it?  The thing is sitting in my room and I do look at them.  Now I have to talk to him, which of course will be real comfortable me a woman teacher and a 13 year old boy.

In my findings about 6% of kids are penis drawers.  I totally believe it.  Some have no idea why they are drawing and I do not plan on bringing it to their attention. 


2 comments:

  1. can i request a follow-up post on that convo with the floating penis artist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read this to josh and he said he's drawn many o' penises... and he doesn't know why. He said they were pretty good too... ha!

    ReplyDelete